Thursday, September 19, 2013

Mapping Information

Before the Mapping Information activity, the way I would conduct research would depend on the type of research I would be doing. Such as if it was for a scholarly purpose, like a research paper. I would use the library data base and look for the information that I would find useful from articles that were provided, or go to the library and look for book pertaining to the topic I will be writing about. There are time that I would use search engine such as Google, to get an idea to what I am looking at. Now if i were to be doing research on my own for fun, such as if were to want to know, if its worth buying a product. I would do my research of the product using search engine (like Google), and look at several links and read what they say. Before doing the activity I felt confident and knew most of the topics that was going to be covered about search engine and search techniques. A reason why, is because I already had this lesson back in high school. Where every year we were required by our English department to write one research paper for the year, some time we were to write 4. Which this included that our teacher had to go over how one can determine if the source that we are looking at is creditable or not. What techniques to use and such.  It was a pain at the time, but I am glad that we did that. Cause it made life much easier my freshman year of college when I had papers due almost every week.

After this activity, I don't think my habits will changing much after this activity. I know that there are a lot of website that brings in with false information, and i should be careful with that. As I mention above in the first paragraph, my habits when determining if a website is creditable is very wise, well when it come to doing scholarly paper. Though there is always room for improvement. In which i would consider changing my habit when doing research for fun. I have realized that i have learned that it would be a wise choice to do, because some of the reviews that i have read would be solely base on someone bias opinion. Learning from this activity i think will affect my teaching by considering if the source is creditable or not. Although i will not be dealing much with having student write a research paper like the English department will. It will be something to be kept in mind in case I want the student to do a research activity. I think it will affect students who are not willing to put in the time to do the research a lot.

In conclusion I found this activity kind of a review. Though I did learned some few things that i didn't know they excited. such as the what .mil , .ac , .sch stand for. I had never seen them before. Its good to know what it means for next time I do a research on something and look at the URL of the site. Although this activity didn't bring much for me to learn from, it will help me to keep in mind of it when working in this class. This activity makes me ponder now, if we will be doing something that will require some research. Like maybe a research paper or something like that? Also also make me wonder if future generation will have creditable sources, that they can use. I feel like something like that will happen soon, especially since now we are living in a generation where were are slowly walking away paper copy to electronic versions

No comments:

Post a Comment